Friday, June 29, 2007

Thailand 3rd post, the MONOLIMB


The MONOLIMB is a technique that was designed to serve amputees in the developing world who do not have access to proper prosthetic care. It is a durable and cost effective alternative that is being used on the Thai-Burma border as well as other areas of the world. This week I completed my first MONOLIMB project. Most of the principles of BK casting and fabrication (it cannot be used for AKs) are similar but there are definitely differences. I would try to describe it but it would take too long, so I’ve attached a link to the organization that designed it.

http://www.prs-research.org/htmPages/Research/ttas.html

There are definitely some challenges, for instance there is minimal adjustments that can be made to the dynamic alignment. The colour of the copolymer used is not always accepted by amputees and the pylon presents an irregular look. One thing I underestimated here was the importance of aesthetics! But that was my own ignorance, these people care about how they look just as much as you and I.
Some benefits of the MONOLIMB are that it is inexpensive, allows less time between the initial appointment and the final product, and patients do not have to come to a lab (the work with the patient can be done in the field).
It has been good to get some exposure to this technique. Using creativity and innovation is essential when working in the developing world. I’m trying to watch and learn so that I better understand how I can help. This is quite an experience! Look forward to your comments, bye for now.
Click on the photo to see a slideshow of my MONOLIMB pictures!

No comments: