Friday, June 29, 2007

Thailand 4th post


Burma’s situation is real!

This is not history! That is what continues to ring in my head. The atrocities that I am reading about and the repercussions that I am witnessing are current events, happening just over those hills and across the Moei or the Salween river in Burma. The victims of malnutrition, curable diseases, displacement from homes, forced labour, unfair imprisonment, landmine explosions are all around me. This is heart wrenching, though if we don’t keep faith how will these Burmese ethnic groups keep their faith? Over the past four weeks I have been inspired to keep hoping and to assist in the solution. The work of international volunteers, representatives from various media sources and most importantly the Karen and other ethnic groups themselves do fill small voids but so much more needs to happen.
My life has been changed, my heart hurts each time I contemplate the depth of this situation. There needs to be more international awareness so that change can be brought to Burma. I encourage you to take a minute and look at the following article, my pictures and search topics like Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Thai Burma Border Consortium, Free Burma Rangers.
Choose to be aware…

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6252024.stm

2 comments:

Jennifer Puddicombe said...

Jody, thank you for the blogs! It's great to see what you guys are doing and to get a feel for the situation over there.

farrar said...

Hey Jode* I'm glad to finally be here, to get the tiniest glimpse of your experience. What a trip.

It is heart wrenching. I've felt the same in my work at times too. But the amazing thing about the work you're doing... to me it is incredibly encouraging that there are people all over the world working for social change - from you, to the teachers in the school in the garbage dump, to Aung San Suu Kyi... all at different levels, and yet I think that this combined effort, be it quiet or loud, is more powerful than can be imagined. And somehow that shines light into the wrenching.

Take such good care, and appreciate every second you have there - as I'm more than sure you will* Thanks for putting the time into this blog* Sawadika*fb